Blogs > A day in the life of a journalist

I am a staff writer for The News-Herald Newspaper in Southgate. This blog will be about the life of a young, fresh-out-of-college journalist who is experiencing new things and learning not only about the communities I cover, but the nation and the world as a whole every day.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Detroit; Tigers, Lions and Wings; A culture is made by the city

I have to start by saying, "GO TIGERS!"

Is this not an amazing time for Detroit sports, and well, the city in general? The buzz in the newsroom today has definitely proved that it is! As journalists, we chat, quite often. We all discuss current events and stories ... the only thing we've discussed today is our excitement over the Tigers game. Today, being a journalist, means the exact same as being a crazy sports fanatic for the Detroit Tigers! And I love it!

The Tigers just ended the series with the Yankees to advance to the ALCS! It was such a close, intense game, too. Tigers and Yankees fans alike were on the edge of their seats (or like me, pacing around and hardly being able to sit for more than two pitches).

It was a little after midnight when Jose Valverde ended the game. The Tigers were only up by one run ... man, I'm worked up just recalling it. Anyways, I hopped on Facebook and Twitter on my phone at the end of the game to post my own comments about the win. As you can imagine, EVERY recent status update was about the Tigers.

A lot of us, especially journalists (because we're involved in groups to send our stories to that are stationed throughout the nation), are friends with people from across the country on Facebook and Twitter. So when we're posting positive things about Detroit's baseball team it's screaming to the rest of the country, "HEY! LOOK AT US! DETROIT IS STILL HERE AND ALIVE."


I don't mind rubbing it in the faces of the nay-sayers that Detroit has a lot to offer. Not just the Tigers either.

Of course, there are the Detroit Lions. I mean, holy shocker, right? It's been an incredible ride watching them win the first four games of the season!


And, my personal favorite sport of all time, the RED WINGS home-opener is tonight! And I mean, everyone knows the Wings will dominate as always this season. Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Helm, Howard ... these boys always have it in them to make it to the playoffs and Sir Stanley is due home.

So with all of our "downtown teams" dominating, the city is blossoming! Comerica has been packed just like Ford Field. People are going downtown more often. I've noticed that I myself go downtown for dinner and drinks about twice a week. It's such a fun place to be! I've actually been looking at apartments downtown so I can be right in the middle of the action.

There are many gems in the city and it's such a great place to be. Sure, it has it's bad parts. But so do Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, etc.

I encourage everyone to scream across the social media nation that the Detroit Tigers are the team to fear. Justin Verlander is going to annihilate the Rangers on Saturday. The Wings are going to start this season off right with their usual consecutive wins. The Lions are going to continue to impress us all Monday, that's right Monday, not Sunday.

It's an immensely incredible time for downtown Detroit to start thriving. And for those of you who are ashamed of telling people you're from the Detroit area because they may ask you the stereotypical questions, shame on you.

I expect to see all of your Detroit-rooting status updates and tweets over the weekend!

Catch ya later, Internet World! :)

GO TIGERS! GO RED WINGS! GO LIONS! GOOOO DETROIT!

"A culture, we all know, is made by its cities." - Derek Walcott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home