Blogs > A day in the life of a journalist

I am a staff writer for The News-Herald Newspaper in Southgate. This blog will be about the life of a young, fresh-out-of-college journalist who is experiencing new things and learning not only about the communities I cover, but the nation and the world as a whole every day.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Journalism; history on the run

According to Webster's dictionary, journalism is "the work of gathering, writing, editing and publishing or disseminating news, as through newspapers or by radio and television."

No insult to Webster - but in all honesty, journalism is a hell of a lot more involved than just gathering, writing, editing and publishing.

I graduated in May 2011 with my bachelor's degree in journalism. I knew in middle school that I wanted to write for a newspaper. (Although that has transitioned into newspapers, magazines, websites, websites and websites). I've never changed my mind.

Journalism is one of the most exciting and unique fields of work. The things one gets to partake in and witness as a journalist are astonishing. I've been a full-time staff writer for The News-Herald for four months. In that short amount of time I have already experienced so many new things.

This blog will be about the life of a young, fresh-out-of-college journalist who is experiencing new things and learning not only about the communities I cover, but the nation and the world as a whole every day.

It'll be exciting, I promise. My first posts to come include: shooting guns with ATF special agents, searching with police for body remains and covering stories about several bodies being found in the Detroit River.

Catch ya later, Internet world! :)

"Journalism, is in fact, history on the run." - Thomas Griffith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home