Blogs > A day in the life of a journalist

I am a staff writer for The News-Herald Newspaper in Southgate. This blog will be about the life of a young, fresh-out-of-college journalist who is experiencing new things and learning not only about the communities I cover, but the nation and the world as a whole every day.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans, this one is for you. Thank you.

This one is for the veterans...

I've been lucky to have met so many amazing soldiers and veterans in the last few years, and I owe most of it to my profession as a journalist.

You can't really define a veteran or what a veteran has done in his or her life. You can't expect to understand what they've been through. And it seems that you can't ever find a way to thank them for what they've done without sounding silly or cliche.

This isn't going to be a long post. I'm not going to ramble about being a journalist today, because rambling about anything besides the men and women who have served our country is just arrogant.

Thank you to all the veterans. To those I know and to those I don't. Your courage and bravery is appreciated by us all, whether we all know how to show it or not.

I almost always end my blogs with a quote. In honor of Veterans Day, I will end it will several quotes I find fitting.

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis


"In war, there are no unwounded soldiers." - Jose Narosky


"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude." - Cynthia Ozick


"I think there is one higher office than president and I would call that patriot." - Gary Hart


"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home