Blogs > A day in the life of a journalist

I am a staff writer for The News-Herald Newspaper in Southgate. This blog will be about the life of a young, fresh-out-of-college journalist who is experiencing new things and learning not only about the communities I cover, but the nation and the world as a whole every day.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Caring communities come together in a tragedy; you all are amazing!

Our Christmas potluck for work was Wednesday. I didn't have time to cook anything Tuesday night, so I stopped at Meijer on my way in to buy a veggie tray. I was in the self-checkout when my cell phone started ringing. It was early int he morning so I kinda had a hunch it was work before I even answered...

My editor told me there had been an apartment fire in Gibraltar. I hurried up and checked out, got in my car and sped off to the complex (I swear one day I'll get pulled over trying to get to a story as fast as possible).

I pulled in to see firefighters working diligently. The fire was out but the bricks and paneling were still visibly warm. The areas were destroyed. It was a sad thing to see so close to the holiday.
(See photos of the firefighters working on the fire here and photos of the fire and the building here)

I talked to some of the firefighters and police officers from Gibraltar and Rockwood. They are some great people - talk about passionate people who just want to help others, it's them.

I took photos, video and got some interviews. I interviewed the man who discovered the fire. His three aquariums full of fish were destroyed and his cat ran off. He lost everything, as did many other families. It was such a sad sight.

I came to the office to write the story. After we posted it online, I got a call from the Gibraltar Goodfellows telling me about the donations that had been given already. Thursday I received another call and today another.

More than 12 organizations Downriver have donated to the families. And several anonymous donors have given money and clothing to the families.

I can't even count how many emails, phone calls and voicemails I've had from people wanting to donate to these families. I'm almost in tears writing this because I'm so awe-stricken by the way the communities has pulled together.

I'm not from Downriver, but after working here for more than seven months I feel like I'm more a part of these communities than the one I live in. I am so proud to be a reporter in these communities. It has been such an amazing thing to see how many people have come forward to give. And I know that most of the people donating don't have everything they want.

I want to thank every single person who has stepped up and helped someone out this holiday season. Whether it was these families, a random person, donating to the Salvation Army or any other group, I am so proud to say that I know you (even if it's just virtually!)

You guys are amazing. The firefighters, police officers, members of the non-profits, the families who have braved these tragedies ... all of you. You are spectacular people.

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families. Smile all weekend with pure happiness for what you have and know that I'll be thinking of all of you!

Happy holidays, my Downriver friends! I love you all!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home